The New Milford Barn Quilt Trail is growing from eight to nineteen barns! NCLC’s Hunt Hill barn was one of eleven barns added to the trail this year. The New Milford Barn Quilt Trail, the only barn quilt trail in Connecticut, was created by the New Milford Forest and Farmland Preservation Committee to honor the agricultural history of New Milford, the American folk art tradition of quilt-making, and encourage the growing interest in local farms and local food.
For the Hunt Hill Farm barn (60 Upland Road in New Milford), NCLC chose a barn quilt pattern that symbolizes the forage grass grown in the surrounding pastures and hay fields. Hunt Hill Farm was a successful dairy from 1850 to 1964, and this field barn, built around 1900 was likely used to store hay for cows during the winter months. Since 2008, NCLC has permanently protected nearly 77 acres of Hunt Hill Farm from development thanks to former owners, Ruth and Skitch Henderson, and their dedication to preserving the property. NCLC owns 43 acres of Hunt Hill Farm and has a conservation easement on another 34 acres owned by the Town of New Milford. Today Hunt Hill Farm is used for pasture, hay, and Christmas trees.
Hunt Hill is the second NCLC farm to be included on theNew Milford Barn Quilt Trail. In 2017, Smyrski Farm’s White Barn was one of the original eight barns on the trail. The maple leaf-inspired design honors the history of sugaring on the property that is continued by Linda and Nick Pouder of Mayapple Hill Farm who lease the land and raise lamb, vegetables, and produce maple syrup.